Welcome To The SEE Costume Contest!
Whether it’s your first time making a costume, or you’ve been involved with cosplay for years, we’re thrilled to have you in the contest!
This year we will be having three categories: youth, novice, and expert. Each will have fantastic prizes for each winner and runner-up. The winner of each category will win a pair of Deluxe Passes for next year’s Expo as well as $100 cash, and the runner-up in each category will win a pair of Weekend Passes to next year’s Expo as well as $25 cash.
A Few Details Before Applying
- All contestants must have admission to the Saskatchewan Entertainment Expo.
- All contestants must adhere to the Props Policy.
- All entrants must be able to move on their own. Costumes that require assistance will not be allowed entry.
- All costumes must be at least 50% handmade or altered. It is at the discretion of the judges to decide if the costumes are 50% handmade.
- The Costume Contest judges reserve the right to exclude any costume that they deem as inappropriate for any reason they find sufficient.
- No electrical power will be provided. If your costume requires power it must be part of your costume design.
- All youth entries must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- No live animals will be allowed onstage, with the exception of registered therapy or seeing-eye dogs if required by contestant.
- Capacity for the Costume Contest is 45 entries, 15 per category. Groups count as one entry, groups must be limited to four people maximum. Once we reach capacity we will start a waiting list.
The contest consists of three categories:
- Youth – 16 years of age and under
- Novice – under three years experience, and/or never won the contest previously
- Expert – over three years experience, and/or won the contest previously
Contestants will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Presentation: how the entrant presents their costume to the judges in pre-judging, and how the entrant displays their costume on stage during the contest.
- Craftsmanship: how the entrant made their costume, use of materials and creativity.
- Likeness and detail: how close the entrant resembles the character(s) they are cosplaying as, and detail on the costume.
Contestants will be given a timeslot for pre-judging before the contest on Sunday. The time and location will be sent to you prior to the show by email. Be sure to be on time to pre-judging to check in, to make sure you will be eligible to participate. Each contest will be given a maximum of two minutes with the judges during pre-judging. Please consider the time limit when describing your contest to the judges, so that everyone has a chance to be judged.
Entrants are asked to arrive at least a half hour before the contest begins. Failure to arrive on time can result in disqualification from the contest.
At the time, the organizer will introduce the emcee and judges, and give general instructions. Contestants will be introduced on stage by the emcee, who will announce their name, character and where the character is from.
Contestants will have a maximum of ONE MINUTE on stage. Groups will be allowed TWO MINUTES. During this time the contestants will interact with the emcee and answer questions about their costume and character.
All contestants must be in costume during the contest and entrants must NOT provide music for the contest.
Please keep everything family friendly. Profanity or crude language will result in being disqualified from the contest. The throwing of anything at the audience is not allowed. Doing so will result in being disqualified from the contest.
Once the last contestant in the contest has left the stage, the judges will deliberate, and then the winners will be announced.